Create with CLAY
$97.00 – $145.00
Date: Saturday, March 19, 2022
Time: 1:30 pm – 4:30 pm (3 hours)
Your investment: $97 per person or sign up with a family member, aged 10 – 25 for $145 (save $48).
Everyone benefits from the tactile experience of working with clay.
This is a hands-on workshop where you will learn the basics of clay making. I’ll show you, step by step, some simple hand-building techniques, then you’ll have the opportunity to get your hands dirty. You’ll have time to slow down, relax and experiment with the medium to create some creative functional or non-functional pieces. You might like to make something useful such as a bowl or tealight candle holder or something decorative such as a mask (and if I think your idea is impossible to make in clay, I’ll help you adapt it so it will work).
Pottery is an ancient practice that has many restorative benefits and while this is not a therapy session, you are sure to find time spent manipulating clay is very therapeutic. As with all art-making, as soon as your hands get busy working with clay, your attention is diverted away from your everyday life.
It’s even okay to squash what you’ve made, at the end of the session, because it’s not the result that matters. This session is all about how playing with clay makes you feel.
As adults, making time for light-hearted, playful experiences is one of the most healing things we can do.
In this session you’ll:
- LEARN 3 hand-building techniques – Pinch, Slab and Coil.
- RELAX as you become fully engrossed in the making process.
- PLAY with the clay as you practise and build one or more pieces. I will be there to support you every step of the way.
I will show you actual examples of simple (and tasteful) hand-made objects and vessels (and demonstrate how they were made) then let you decide what you would like to create.
We will be using ‘Paperclay’, a smooth white clay that is extraordinarily easy to work with, when you understand its basic properties. Your pieces will need to fired (cooked) in a professional Kiln when they are dry if you want them to be permanently waterproof. This will be your responsibility (and at your own expense – approx. $10.00 per kg), and I will provide you with a list of places where they offer this service in Brisbane.
After majoring in Ceramics during my university days, and teaching clay work to children and teens for almost 30 years, I’m always excited to present this workshop. Complete beginners are welcome and those with prior experience will be given the freedom to create more advanced pieces.
- A complete therapeutic experience
- Step by step instructions
- List of ‘FIRING/GLAZING’ services in Brisbane, detailing the specific firing requirements you’ll need to ask for.
- Organisational ideas and advice on resources you need to set up your home studio
- Tea/coffee and light snacks
- An apron for use on the day
- Paperclay and Clay tools,
- Lots of photos that I will share with you, upon request
- Clean up – it’s all taken care of for you
This workshop is also available for a private group booking (Maximum of 10 people). If you want to include extra time to socialise with your friends, you are welcome to use my private outdoor courtyard, before or after the session (also for an extra fee per hour). For all inquiries contact me!
|Who is coming to the class||
1 Adult, 1 Adult and 1 child